Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

When the Asthma comes a calling

Tonight I skipped riding so I could catch up with my mountain of cycling laundry and to get the Heron ready for the long haul tomorrow. As I write this I am having a Duisenberg of an Asthma Attack. My nose is congested, throat is tight, mucuos is building up in the Bronchios and my body temperature is up.
I had somc Campari with Orange juice earlier, no beer, no wine and tons of water. Maybe the Campari bothered me. I think more and more alcohol is bothering my Asthma. Today we also had a pretty hectic day at the shop since it was only the two of us. We had lots of repairs and assemblies to be done. I was also stressed because my knees were bugging me and I just felt like laying down. I definetely need to get some new shoes. Also on my Lake shoes I think they don't free float on some of my shimano pedals. I have a feeling the I am stuck in the wrong position and I am putting a weird strain on the right knee. Almost 40 years of cycling with no knee problems. Keep them warm and don't push big gears.
So in order to combat the Asthma attack I boil water in a 4qt pot and add some pure eucalyptus oil. Ast the water boils I inhale the steam and that helps me clear up. I then follow up with Ice water to reduce the swelling in my throat and then I have some Black Turkish Tea with a ton of sugar. This gets the juices going and it clears my sinuses.
At some point I would like to get rid of all the carpeting in my house. I sometimes have a feeling that that bugs me sometimes. IT is now 12:30 a.m. and my whole idea of going to bed early has just gone out the fuckin' window.
If I start to feel better I will probably take a walk to Walgreens and just fart around like a loser. I am interested in looking into getting a nebulizer and seeing if that helps more than my 4qt pot.
Laying off any type of alcohol is probably going to happen sooner than later.
out,

Ari

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, not the beer!

Ari, send me your email at jbuffington@smdc.org, I got some thoughts. Jason

DJN said...

i have had a serious case of asthma my whole life. i was just a little guy using the nebulizer, but as i got older it got a little better, much more controllable.

send me an email if you wanna chat.