Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fixed Century on a Perfect Day

Taking a break at mile 80. Had to take right sock off because of hot foot spot

Custom Aegean Blue steamroller, Michelin Cyclocross Sprint tires


Dead wild turkey off Genoa Rd. Just outside of town. That really bums me.


Sprint sign to Poplar Grove. Uncontested


Foggy Start in the morning



I sent Giugi off to school, ate breakfast, lube the chain and the Cha-mois and was out the door by 8:48 a.m. It started off kinda foggy and some nice armwarmers keep the chill off. I could see the sun trying to break through and I knew it was going to be a good one. I road up Brickville and made a left on Grove and then took Pleasant Hill rd. straight shot style all the way to Genoa Rd. I then took Genoa rd all the way to Belvedere kept going straight north, made a left on Lawrenceville rd and a right on Poplar Grove rd. I took that all the way north pass Poplar Grove and I really wish you were there. What a great ride it was. Once I got north of Poplar Grove it started to becoming more rolling hill terrain. There were no cars, the pavement was smooth and there was a little shoulder for security.
I did test riding with a Blackburn mirror and it was truly useful. I could keep an eye for cars and I think once they see the mirror they give you more room. I really liked using it for straight shot riding. I ate my banana, drank my Heed and then made a uturn to go home. I had a side wind going north and a side wind going home. I baked in the sun all day.
After coming home, I quickly showered and went shopping for shoes for Giugi, went grocery shopping and went out for Burgers, Fries and Soda. That hit the spot.
Gearing was a bit low for the road but I have the remedied already. I rode a 44x18 and then switched to 44x16. I swapped out the cross tires for road and put a road stem on the "Greek Warrior".

Totals for the day

101 miles
6 hours 15 minutes
1 bottle of Heed
50 oz of camelbak
Power bar Gel Burst
1 Gu
1 apple
2 one liter bottles of cold Dasani Water

1 comment:

Charlie Farrow said...

Ari: U are a tiger...The future of enduro-cycling rests with you!
Charlie
ps Your recent efforts have caught the attention of the secretive DBD. Mallory was heard to utter, "Who is this Ari chap? I like the cut of his jib."