Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Little Beady Eyes

Start time last night


Control center on the Fuji Professional






September 1st, 2009 first day with Balaclava


The Fuji taking a rest in Genoa, IL.







So I was out last night again and left the house around 10:00 pm. Definetely falling into my routine again. Dressed really warm and still got very cold. Switched to the Patagonia capilene with a jersey and Gore windstopper jacket, leg warmers, gloves, surly wool socks and I finally gave in and wore my craft balaclava. Being in town was kinda warm but as soon as I got out in the fields I felt the change of temperature and the dew that was coming down like rain. I rode the old Fuji and I realized what a fantastic ride that bike is. Built around the early 70's it still offers a comfortable, predictable cruise.

I rode around Genoa, since it is so quiet there. I eventually found this new trail and was tempted to follow it. After fighting the demons I decided to take it. It was paved so I said it should be fine with the road tires. I went over a bridge and startled a Blue Heron that was busy fishing with the moonlight. I went through a forest, took a bend and came out on this huge prairie. I turn my head to the left and amongst the brush, in the fog I iluminated a half dozen coyotes. They stared at me and I stared at them. I wasn't sure if to continue since there were a bunch of them .

I u-turned and started heading home. The hills on Rte 23 felt good. I arrived home tired, with burning legs and I was glad with the nights ride.

Total for the day 52 miles

average 16mph

Max 26mph










Ari

No comments: