Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor day solo riding

Fighting a headwind for over 40 miles

101.97 for the day. I was really happy with these numbers

Mt. Morris, IL.


Mt. Morris, IL.



Mt. Morris, IL.
There was no planning of any sort for this weekend and I ended hacking it solo once again. I was in a foul mood all day Sunday and did not ride. I got a lot of stuff done in the house and also started reading a lengthy biography on Henry Kissinger. Book was recommended by Charlie Farrow.
The wife has enough of my head up my butt and I got booted out the house. She suggested I go ride all the way out to Mt. Morris and that is what I did. I did a Straight Shot ride out on rte 64 and was experimenting with a Blackburn mirror that Billabong gave me. I would ride on the road and as soon as a car approached I would hit the gravel and let them pass.
It took me a while to get used to not looking back over my shoulder and after a while I got used to it. Actually it was kinda cool keeping an eye on those cars. I made it to Mt. Morris in record time since I had a significant tail wind pushing me out that way. It would have been a perfect ride to make it all the way out to the Miss. river. I wish I could have convinced somebody to drive out there and bring me back home. Maybe some other time.
I battled a headwind for about 45 miles the way back home. It was really cooking me and I felt my legs starting to burn.
I rode the 85 miles in 5 hours and 10 minutes which I thought was good timing. I then arrived home, showered and went to pick up Giugi with the Burley from the inlaws. Then I came home and took the Burley and went shopping. I wanted to have a 100 mile day and it did pan out for me.
I saw no other cyclist today but saw a ton of Harley and motorcycle riders, campers, campers with Cadillac Escalades in tow, Pickup trucks hauling 4 wheelers, Boats in tow, Monster bus size mobile homes, Dirt bikes, any freaking thing that is gas powered was out there. No bicycles.
Long live Petroleum.
Rode the 85 miles with 2 bottles of Hammer Nutrition Heed, 1 bottle of perpeteum , 50 oz of water and two cheddar filled crackers. Now I am re-hydrating with some Magic Hat Lucky Cat IPA. Man, it good!
Ari





6 comments:

Noel said...

Love that Magic Hat. How ya doing otherwise

Ari said...

Noel,
Things are going well. Been riding and working a ton, as usual. I met Peter at my inlaws on Sunday and we are trying to get together for a ride. We are planning on a Sunday at Downers Grove. Would that be something you could do??
Ari

Noel said...

Most definitely. Just let me know when and where.

Anonymous said...

Ari: You are gonna lay awake at night wild-eyed reading Walter Issacson's work on "Dr. Kissinger." re: 24@ 7 Oaks--It was a Thomson seatpost that broke!!! Can you believe it...Can we no longer trust anyone or anything????
Cheers,
C

Richard said...

Ari hit me up if you are in need of a return schlep. Nice pic of the Mt. Morris err amphitheater.

Anonymous C - Thomson seat post break??? w.t.f. hope you had some Magic Hat around.

Ari said...

Richard,
I was amped to make it all the way out to the river. Maybe next time.
Charles,
Please send a photo of the Thomson Breakage. I would love to see where it broke.
Riding weather is here guys. I would love some company on the Great Western Trail. Maybe ride to St. Charlies, get food and then ride back. I have a massive light to light up the trail.
Ari