Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Blends" "Blends" "Blends"

Jamie on her Rivendell Bleriot with 650bx44 tires.
Decorah, Iowa 2008



It has been a while since we have been lookin for the above term. A "Blend" is a type of ride that incorporates riding on Pavement and also on dirt. This type of riding challenges the rider with more than one type of surface and in most cases as one uses a road bike you will acquire some better handling skills and strength. The road bike is not a fragil piece of machinery. Remember that all those Madones, Cervelos, Merlins and other candy bikes are ridden hard at such races as Paris-Roubaix and the spring classics.
Ever since I moved out to DE Kalb county I have taken to riding this style of ride and I am pretty much hooked on them. Each one is an adventure in itself.
My Cyclocross bike is equipped with Marathon Racers in 700x35c. These tires can handle all conditions. I have also ridden my legnano with Michelin 700x25c Pro Race tires. My other bike of choice is the Quickbeam with 700x28c top touring tires.
In any case the Flandria 100 Ride in August will definetely be a "Blend" ride and I hope to help out anyone that needs some help setting up a bike.
Don't be afraid of getting your bike dirty since soap, warm water and a splash of Dawn will get you spanking clean again. I would like to add that we plan on giving out cue sheets and perhaps small printed maps to all riders. You may also use your Garmins if you are so sofisticated.
At some point in July we will firm up the amount of riders so we can do some printing. I will be working double shift on Saturday so the ride will for sure take place on Sunday.
Any questions let me know.

Ari

15 comments:

Cornbread said...

Hey Ari, which tires are you going with for TI?

I'm still debating and have been trying to decide on a good tire. I've been riding Michelin Mud2's for quite sometime. The Mud2's are fast and have the high TPI which really helps the ride quality, but they wear very quickly.

On the flip side of the spectrum, I also have a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Crosses. Heavy, bullet proof, but dependable.

Going from Mud2's to Marathon Crosses is gonna make my bike feel like a slug.

Any suggestions?

Ari said...

I have ridden both of them and I agree with your statements. I guess if you want to go 350 miles as quickly as possible it would be best to use a "fResh" pair of michelins and cut down the rolling resistance. The Schwalbes are great but I realized that after long training rides I was dogging to make them turn. There are some other tires I have to check out and will let you know. Last year I rode an old Michelin (green compound) and a Ritchey in the back.
Ari

Ryan! said...

Dude, just call me blender.

Ari said...

Ryan you and that tricked out Iraqi styled Crosscheck are a blender with a huge engine! I can't wait to ride with you soon.
Ari

d.p. said...

I'm thinking I might be a blender. I've just became a fan of the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix in a robust 700x27 on my Miche' equipped steamroller (My longest ride to date on gravel is just over 110 miles, pretty harsh but fast). Common sense may prevail and I'd ride the cross bike with something a bit skintier than the 700 x x38's, like cornbread says, heavy. Salsa Joe Meiser's got a nice picture of a Challenge Grigo XS that really intrigues me. http://eojmeiser.blogspot.com/2008/12/goodbye-old-friend-hello-new.html

Anonymous said...

I swear by those Michelin CX jets...I think there are something like 30 to 32. In the TI last year I rode the Michelin in the rear (at about 60 lbs) and a Continental road racing tire in the front (@ 100 lbs)...it was risky, but I lucked out...My steel Kelly takes the bumps out to some degree...plus the fact is that when it comes to the back roads of Iowa, itz really all about clarity through suffering :)
C

Ari said...

Gentlemen:
The Challenge tires are exceptional and I saw them at Frostbike in Minneapolis. They have tires in Tubular format and also in Clincher. IF I have time I will buy a set and try them out and put out a report.
Hope your training is going well.
Ari

Ryan! said...

I race on Challenge Grifos. They are amazing!

Ari. I got in 120miles with the single speed mountain bike this weekend. It felt soo good. During that time Wagner and I discussed riding out to your place and riding all over tarnasion out by yous guys with yous guys.

Ari said...

Ryan,
Are you talking about your Chrome Bianchi? If so that is amazing. Where did you go?
ari

Ryan! said...

Nah it was on the surly. I got those 29er tires on there with risers and I just take it off road. I was on some trails and on some roads. Most of which was into the wind. It is like the mid west mountian range. What do you think we should do about the track wheel? Track season is creeping up.

Ari said...

My next trip over to Hartleys I am just going to pick that up and try to work on it at home. I think the guys that originally built that wheel had some special tool to feed the nipples into the rim.
Ari

Ryan! said...

i never knew how sucky it would be....

Ryan! said...

by the way thanks a lot!

Ari said...

If it would have been a piece of cake I would have built it a while ago. Maybe we can hook up for an offroad ride one day. Maybe somewhere midpoint.
ari

Ryan! said...

That would be cool. I can take the great western trail out.