Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Nasty Commute and Wheel Building

Fargo with done wheels and headset

Rear Wheel, King and Dt. only the best.


My horrendous ride home. Ugh!


My new digs at North Central Cylery, Dekalb, IL.



Sorry for the large print but my eyes are burning. I rode into work today and it was kinda rainy but mild. We worked all day and had a chilled day. Got some projects done and as it was getting closer to leaving some flakes started to fall. By the time we left we were in a winter storm and riding on a very icey surface. I made the right towards the trail and things got worse. I was underdressed for what I was riding in and of course on my Ira Ryan with the slick tires. I had taken that bike to work to measure up some fenders
The wind was blowing fierce and the tame snow flakes got angry at me and made me hurt. My face was burning despite the balaclava and winter hat. My gloves felt useless since all my digits were frozen solid. I wanted to walk but I was underdressed. I wanted to break down and throw up but did not want to stop. I felt hypothermic and I just kept riding.
I finally made it home after 1hour and 15 minutes. My total distance travelled was 6 miles. I arrived and it took me a long while to get my senses back. Dinner, Tea, and just finished building the rear wheel for Gigggle's Salsa Fargo.
Speaking of Salsa Cycles tomorrow we are off to QBP (Quality Bike Parts) in Minneapolis to attend Frostbike.
Hope to see some of you there.
Ari

4 comments:

bluecolnago said...

have fun in minn-ee-so-tah!

watch out for that suddenly changing weather, buddy! it was 34 and mild when i came to work yesterday and 20 with brootal winds when i went home.

Ari said...

That is what I was talking about. You figure an old dog like me wouldn't get caught in something like that unprepared. Another storm front is supposed to hit friday night into saturday. Might have to hit the snowshoes again.
Ari

ira said...

nice to see the most valuable tool in the shop, ready for action on the countertop. take care and be careful but also know that the human will is stronger than you realize. midwest riders are a tough breed for sure.

Ryan! said...

Ira Ryan mmm I am jealous.