Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Today's ride.

Oregon, IL.

Oregon, IL.

That loop has left me wiped out and it was really good to get out there and gauge how much fat has to come off. I had decent strength in the legs but felt like I was towing an airstream trailer behind me. I was saddened to see Lowden State Park closed. The signs were up warning that going in was tresspassing. Thank you Mr. EX Gov Blago.


I hope our new governor will make everyone happy in that area by opening up the park. It is a great place to camp, go there for a picnic, Go see the statue of Blackhawk and a great goal for us leaving from Sycamore. There is a wall where it is most pleasant to take a break in the summer.


Today the ride was cold and some of the hills got me working pretty good. I would warm up on the uphills and then hit 35mph on the downhills and feel that cold air go right through me. There were some slick spots where the sun don' shine and one had to watch it there.


I later took a road trip to Byron (cause I have never been there) and found more hilly roads. It looks like that whole area has decent hills. I wish we did. Had a sandwich at the local subway and then headed out to Mt. Morris to complete my day of "Me". I had some chocolate and listened to NPR on the way home and I could still feel the Jell-0 in my legs. I hope next time I go there and start the ride its not in the teens.


Ari

3 comments:

bluecolnago said...

isn't there a drag strip at byron? is that the town's claim to fame?

sounds like a great ride, if a little cold.

Ari said...

The claim to fame is the Drag Strip and the enormous, scary, monstrous, fear inducing Nuclear Power Plant.
ari

Anonymous said...

Ari,

I just found your blog. Great stuff. The top photo to this post looks like such an appealing stretch of road, especially from the warmth of my desk.

Alas, I've never been to IL; I'm writing from Brooklyn, NY, where I ride every chance I get. I mostly ride fixed gear around the flat NYC boroughs -- New Jersey offers up some decent hills (and fewer cars). I'm planning on a couple centuries this year, but dream of a cross-country ride on my fixie. Has it been done?