Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday Riding, Monday Shoeing

Giggles this one is for you!


Trapper breaking trail in Comando Mode



Surly Pugs on GWT. About 2 degrees with west winds.
good times.
Oh! 5 psi.



Pugs with angry snowmobiles



Great Western Trail

So yesterday was a hard day with on some single digits to deal with. I made it to the headtrail and then rode the beast for two hours. It was a lot of work despite the snowmobiles having done a pretty good job at packing down the snow. It was bitterly cold and I brought along one of Billabong's old backpacks with extra clothes , food and water wrapped in the clothing so it wouldn't freeze. The ride heading east was enjoyable and then on the way home the sun went down, the wind started digging into my jacket and face. I made it home pretty frozen but satisfied at having defeated the trainer once again.
This morning we met up with Trapper Tom in Oak Brook and did about 1 hour 20minutes of good snowshoeing. We tackled all the hills and on some occasions did repeats. I would go anaerobic on the uphills and then cool down on the downhills. Towards the end I really felt good and by then I had to make it to work. Trapper was on MSR snowshoes and I was on Atlas 30"ers to sustain my weight. We both used ski-poles for upper body workout. It is always a blast to ride or just hang out with Trapper. Thanks!
Hope y'all coping with winter, because this one is a good one just like last year.

Don't give up, just keep going.

Ari

6 comments:

bluecolnago said...

yup, just like last year. long and cold. i'm ready for spring!

do those 30 inchers work ok for you?

Ari said...

Yeah they do. I am currently at 245lbs and 6'4" so I think I am maxing them out. We did hill repeats and that is a good workout. At single digits I was working so hard I had to take my gloves off.
ari

Ryan! said...

What! There is so much going on here. Pugsly/shoes/ sans Hartleys/ New Job. I feel like I just got kicked in the pants. I don't know where to start.... I guess by figuring out where the hell your work is at so I know where to bring my stuff to from now on.

Ari said...

Ryan:
Fast and furious. Had to accept a good position at the shop in Dekalb. I was getting body damage from driving close to 600 miles a week in a car designed for somebody a lot smaller than me. I will be at North Central Cyclery in Dekalb, IL. I have it linked on the side as MY Local Bikeshop. I hope to see you and ride with you this summer. We must talk.
best,
Ari

EXPO Racing said...

That Pugs looks super nice. Yup, a Pugs is the only thing holding me back from the dreamy Arowhead 135. One of these days I'll have a bike like yours.

Ari, great luck to you with your transition.

See you soon!

Ari said...

Thanks Expo. My good friend Tobie lent me his Pugsley to experiment and see how I am going to build mine up next year. Living up in the Tundra were we are it is a necessary beast. You should also include a pair of snowshoes with some beat up ski poles. Very good exercise.
best,
Ari