Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

A really, really cold one for a change

No Shelter in sight. Aldrich Road. Gravel was frozen , dry and rideable



Working on my tan while Quickbeam takes a breather


Everyone tells me that I should go ride in the woods and I understand that. I live out in the middle of Dekalb County, IL and if you know what I mean they grow corn out here. They have left minute patches of forests just to say they didn' t chop ALL the trees down.
Today was 10 whole degrees when I left the house and there was a howler wind clocking at almost 30mph coming out of the west.
It was so cold that it penetrated my Gore Windstopper Jacket and my Windfront Craft Shirt I was wearing. It also cut right through my Craft Storm Tights.
My hands were boiling in thick fleece liners with Eskimo Mitts (with Fur) that I got from Billabong. I was also outfitted with OR (outdoor research) liner balaclava with Windstopper OR outer balaclava. I rode the Quickbeam and I struggled to turn what I thought an easy 42x18.
I rode for a whopping 20 miles with almost 2 hours on the saddle. I think I burned all the Bacon I had for breakfast and more. Serving at the restaurant tonight had my legs feeling like Jello. I kept wondering how to finish the Trans Iowa this year and the only solution I thought up was to keep suffering like a dog. At least my teeth don't hurt anymore.
best,
ari

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

good stuff. be careful out there....