Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Real Bermuda Triangle

Exhausted and taking a break at Bermuda Triangle
The Bermuda Triangle at Night

Now that I have been having a wee bit more time I can finally write this post. The aforementioned spot is located in Fermi Lab in Batavia. As you enter the lab complex from the east and travel west you pass the guard station, go to the second stop and make a right. No matter what time of the year it is you will be encountered with weird winds that make your bike stop.
When heading east towards work this spot always tires me. It is a slight uphill, lots of wind and the old tree is a reminder that it has been sitting there and getting beat up for at least 20 years.
In 1987 I discovered Fermi by accident as I was fresh arrived from Germany. I remember that tree being dead back then and for some reason I have always had this fantasy of setting the fucker on fire. Getting arrested and imprisoned as an enemy combatant has restrained my hands from doing it.
My new addition to mental states has been riding the Bermuda Triangle at night. Last time I went through it was raining and gusting winds were blowing out of the N-NW. As soon as I turned the corner a howling welcome stopped my bike and spooked the hell out of me. I put my head down, lowered the gearing in a sign of respect and pedalled through. I was glad to no be able to see my speedometer. The pale blue light from the niterider were the only signs of relief.
As soon as I left the area the winds became more manageable and I sighed in relief. On to the Fox River trial which is paved and covered with wet leaves. I had no idea where the trail began and where it ended. The wooden bridges where slippery as snot with my narrow road tires. I felt my chain and drivetrain wear, thin out with all the grit grinding away at it. I feel bad for the Heron. In a strange way this Bird bike has been living in the water lately, perhaps it's where it belongs.
I hope next time you go by the bermuda triangle it beats you up.
Ari

1 comment:

Snake said...

hey guy.... check out www.snakeoffury.blogspot.com