Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Commuting till the Bone

This week was a tough one. I got the Oldsmobile fixed for the girlies to use and this week hopefully I will have the Nissan so I can take a break from Commuting with the bike. I rode 85 miles on Monday, Tuesday and today Wednesday. Today was the whopper. I have not been getting enough rest or food and going to work today I completely bonked. I took care of eating a lot at work and drinking 15 gallons of water. I took some vitamin packages, ate fruit, a meatball sandwich and some beef fried rice.
The wind has been wreaking havoc in my head and at some points I thought I was going crazy. Today I left work in the rain and it only got worse the darker it got. The wind was blowing like hurrican style but I kept thinking about Pantani and all my other heroes and just kept riding.
I bitched and bitche as I rode until I went by a large house that had the curtains open. Inside the living room sat a man in his wheelchair, by himself , watching T.V.
I got the shivers when I saw that and thought how lucky I was to be riding in the dark, in the rain on my bike.
Once I hit the Great western water trail I found that the whole thing was flooded and the limestone was like Peanut butter. Twenty more miles of that and I arrived home, hosed myself and the bike down and appreciated the warmth of my place.
Riding like that is very raw and at some point I think you start to lose it.
I taking the day off tomorrow,
Ari

2 comments:

bluecolnago said...

that's hardcore, brother....

BK said...

Ari,
I love you for many reasons, but your constant awareness of how good it really is to be a cyclist ranks near the top.
BK fomerly BS