Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Getting a taste of it.


On Sunday there was no car available for me. So I suited up, lubed my cameo and rode into work. I hooked a partial ride on the way home and ended up with a 85 miles. On Monday there was no car again so I went the length of the sausage and piled another 104 miles. Same situation on Tuesday. Between the three days there was almost 3 centuries. I felt stronger every day, though the trail was starting to fatigue me mentally. I did start to use my i-river and listened to both Fire and Funeral from the Arcade Fire. The Chamois butt cream is useless. It dissapears within 25 miles and your cameo turns to sandpaper. My precious container of Assos Cameo cream is a lifesaver. With clean shorts everyday I have eluded the obnoxious boil syndrome. Also when I arrive to work I wash all my clothes and let them dry out in the sun. Hygene is sometimes a neat thing.
Lately I have left my ultra modern Scandium/Carbon fork Salsa at home. Cross bikes suck on the road. I have been riding my Waterford built Heron. 531 tubing with Mavic components and fat Michelins in 700x25mm. The bike accelerades, rolls, and climbs like it should. I am running a 52x42 in the front with a 13x25 duro-ace Freewheel in the back.
The fifty plus miles cost 3 bottles of water and one or two gels. Same for the ride home. Cars, so far, have been civilized and a small bell has been helpful on the trail. I have also noticed that once I get out in the country the temperature drops and it is really comfortable.
I don't know how long this type of riding is going to last and what I am going to do for a car. I am still dealing with weight issues. I started this year with 270 pounds and my last weigh in has been 259. My weight during my Cross times was 197, so if I can come close to those numbers I would feel good. It would also give me the chance to use some of my old jerseys. I will start cutting wood for the workbench this week. Flandria Velosport business cards are printed. Big thanks to Brad for all the web work. No clue how he does it.
Must sleep,
Ari

1 comment:

mokeefe said...

Ari-

An 11lb weight loss is truly impressive! And congrats on the shop... if I lived closer I'd surely check it out.

-Matt