Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Friday, November 8, 2013

Honorary Chairman of the Slender Fungus Hellmut Kost


Hellmut Kost regaining energy during a hard Trans Iowa training ride. Yes, that is leftover fried Chicken.


So yesterday I was running around the shop as usual balancing bike stuff with our remodeling. I went back to the work area and as I was coming out Hellmut was just standing there, in silence. I couldn't believe my eyes. It is typical for him to do these things since that is just part of his personality. Hellmut and I have spent many a nights riding out in the wastelands of Dekalb County, IL. 
We both trained for Trans Iowa and would meet up at 10 pm and ride thru the night. He was an amazing riding partner. Sometimes we went hours without talking, to the point were we brought mP3 players to ignore eachother even more. We were together just to get thru the night. He brought me back home on a very cold night where I thought I had adquired frostbike in my lungs. I couldn't breath and I was weak. I had arrived home that night to find ice inside my jacket. I felt blood coughing up. 
So, this guy has had a huge impact on my riding. He consequently moved to Florida to escape the paws of winter and now he has bounced over to Lake Tahoe to hit up some incredible trails on his Mountain bike. 
I was so excited to see him. I also want everyone to know that because of Hellmut we are what we are with the Slender Fungus. He had the idea to call us Slender Fungus. Then it turned to Slender Fungus Cycling Association. The name came up as we listened to an old album from Tones on Tail. We creeped at night. We were quiet. Nobody saw us as we rode in remote parts of the countryside. 
Hellmut is still representing out there but I doubt anybody sees him. He is quiet, elusive and keeps to himself. 
Thanks for stopping by buddy, 
We always miss having you,
best 
Ari 

2 comments:

Guitar Ted said...

It's so great to see old friends on a surprise. I have had this happen at the bike shop as well. What a great story about Hellmut. I remember you talking about him.

Eric said...

Holy shit.