Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Rage on Winter.

A Surly 1x1 that Flandria Velosport is Building

The Rockhopper at night with New Nokians. GRIP!

Every year it seems like I am more and more commited to ride in the winter. It is a matter of getting organized and thinking ahead. There are some essentials that are necessary to get the job done. The latest component to enter my winter arsenal are the Nokian Extreme 294's. Yes they have 294 studs and a very aggressive tread pattern. I mounted those on to a trusty old Specialized Rockhopper that kinda came my way. I was out the other night with snow and ice on the trail. I was able to ride through and do the complete 8 miles in under 2 hours. I never once lost traction and it is also very helpful to have a triple in the front to create all the torque you need.


Lately I have also been riding exclusively with my Gore Jacket. It has zippered arms that come off and turn the thing into a vest. I don't know where all the moisture goes since I always arrive home dry and comfortable. Tonight it is snowing again and it is one of those nights where the lights bounce off the low clouds and light up everything. I will be out chasing ghosts.





Ari

5 comments:

tenzin said...

het ari,
i work with bk from bs and he told me you are the man to contact about handlebar muffs. like the ones in your picture on your blog. where do i get them?
thank you
tenzin

bluecolnago said...

i do like the pumkin orange color of the new 1x1.... great winter bike! :)

Ari said...

Tenzin,
My friend Billabong sorts those out for us. I will get the info and let you know. Hi BK!

Blue:
That orange is like a cream Orange and it looks great! Though I like your Limey one a lot too.

Ryan! said...

Mmmm....studded tires. Crunch sssssss through the snow. That has got to be fun! I am excited for tomorrow. I do not have the cool studs though. Wait, well there is this one....

Ari said...

Studded tires are the difference between riding and not riding on the ice. The Surly Pugsley is King at floating on the fresh snow.
Ari