Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Film??


I was rummaging through my camera bags the other day and realized I had a few gems in my collection. I have not used my film cameras in a long time and somehow I felt bad about it. I used to live with a film camera in my pocket or bag at ALL times. It gave way to my awesome Olympus Stylus digital. I got lazy with the snap-snap-snap-delete-delete and upload, download.
I think what we lose in digital cameras is the time to think the picture, frame it, compose it and then execute it. I remember taking fewer but much better pictures in the old days. The Lomo in the photo is a marvel. It can expose up to 2 minutes, you can manipulate the film speed, and the lens is super sharp. Handy, compact and a really good feel to it. It is a fragile, cheaply made Russian camera but I will never let it go. I will eventually get a scanner and post some of the shots taken with this camera on the flicker website. I have started to shoot film again and it feels good. It's like forgoing your STI for friction.I will post some other cameras as I clean and get them ready.
Ari

3 comments:

bluecolnago said...

i'm not sure i'd want to go back to downtube shifters, ari.... :)

Ari said...

My Trans Iowa bike will have Downtubers. I understand the ergonomics and comfort and security the Sti/ergo offers. I like the Downtubers for the reason that you can switch the indexing to friction when your drivetrain gets in bad shape.
Ari

bluecolnago said...

good point!