Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day Off Ride

Half frozen with 20+ miles to go.
I successfully got frostbite on 8 of my 10 fingers. I was out today on the Salsa cross bike and headed west to do some miles for the Trans Iowa. I did check the weather and it called for temps in the high 30's with some scattered flakes. Well at about 25 miles out I decided to bag it and start coming back home. I had eluded the wind since it was on my tail all the way out. As soon as I u-turned her it started to snow. Flake here, flake there. After 1 mile of head down into a severe headwind it started to dump. Fuck the weather forecast. Out here there is no forecast and from now and ever I will carry a backpack with survival gear.
My Showers Pass jacket was excellent but I could have used another insulating layer. I regretted not having a hat with a bill since the snow has burned my eyes. I am bloodshot. The slush and snow penetrated the Lake boots and I went 25 miles with wet feet. The drama of the day was getting my hands soaked to were they were burning. I cried and could not find a way to make them stop hurting. I scoured the ditches for help. I eventually found some dirty plastic that I wiped on my tights and cut in half. I wrapped my hands in it and rode home. Jamie had to peel the plastic and the gloves off to reveal white tipped digits.
All these years of riding and this is the first time EVER that I have suffered so much. I should have had my Pogies and my OR snow mitts today. Live and learn. Hello????? This is March 27th, 2008 and I have burny fingers.
I was so relieved to not have had any mechanicals. Now I must get showered and go serve at the Restaurant.
Free Tibet and stop buying Chinese Crap at Wal*Mart.
Ari

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Only 80%?!?! We expect a bigger impact than than. A frozen tongue would be someting to write about or possibly eye lids being iced shut. 8 fingers?? That's nothing for you surely;)

bluecolnago said...

headwinds suck.