Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Stop Driving!


I just have to get this out at some point. I have been commuting by the way of the Nissan in the cold months. Truth is I can't wait to do my centurian commute all over again. Over the few past months I have realized how many drivers in our area drive on the expressways with waaay large vehicles and how they punch these animals to go at mach speed.

Many moons ago when my old man taught me to drive he emphasized the light touch on the pedal. If I was coming to a red light I would let go of the gas and "glide" to the light.

This little habits were to save gas and conserve your brakes and engine. See my dad comes from a Mountain Village in Greece, where instant gratification and consumerism are unknown words. You saved, then saved and then when you got the item you cherished it and polished it to last a lifetime.

The insanity on the Highway is getting on my nerves. People are clueless as to why they exist and why they are in such a hurry. Slow down is all I think. So the bottom line is that I want to ride again. They will not appreciate this since the asshole biker will again be in their way.

I am really interested to learn more how cities like Portland and other "Civilized" towns are making these changes. As for I-88 it remains a ribbon of Gluttony. Above is a chart that I will present with kind permission from Kent's Blog.

Now get out and ride your bike. Get a commuter going with wide tires, fenders, a light and some racks to carry Crap.

out,
Ari

No comments: