Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day Off Ride

Me looking half dead

Awesome drifts


Gunnar Ruffian 29er Fixed

Tortureous Great Western Trail

Despite all the snow from yesterday I had to gain the courage to get out and do my hours. I really thought about the conditions and for sure knew that it was best to stay on the deserted roads. They do plow them but do not salt at all. The Gunnar 29er in fixed mode would be the best shot since my Shimano Freewheels tend to freeze up.

Getting to the country roads meant travelling on civilized roads that were plowed and salted.

The cold slush hit my boots and lower part of my tights and if it started to penetrate the party would be over. I was running a 2 to 1 ratio and at times it seemed to high and others too short.

I was also chased by a white male with 4 legs and to my disbelief he would not give up. As he got closer I was starting to imagine his teeth sinking in my fat leg. I kept the bike straight and we sprinted. I hit top speed of 23 mph on ice and my HR monitor was going crazy. Then the fucker loses his footing on the ice and starts to slide. I am imagining falling, fucking up myself, my bike and when all said and done getting bitten. I turned to see him finally gone and I had to stop since I was not breathing anymore.

I ended up doing almost 3 hours of penitence and on the way home I walked 5 miles on churned up snow (snowmobiles) on the Great Western Trail. Burned 2,500 calories in that time.

I smartened up and took a backpack with tools, a full size pump and a nalgene bottle with 1 liter of water. Rode with my Patagonia Puff Jacket, Merino sweater, and patagonia R4 baselayer. I was soaked but all the moisture was off of me. Now I never leave without my Toe Warmers.

Dead and Out,

Ari

6 comments:

bluecolnago said...

sounds like you're going to be ready for ti v.4 for sure....

Ari said...

Thanks Blue. Yesterday I experimented with some Camelbak Elixir and it messed up my stomach. Any idea on electrolyte replacement??
Ari

bluecolnago said...

i don't get fancy with electrolyte replacement. plain old gatorade for me. i mix it with water 50/50 when it's hot outside to avoid upsetting my stomach.

i do know that elete is pretty popular with some of the guys. jackal or kerkove could give you a better answer for replacement during endurance events than i can.

ride safe!

Ari said...

thanks blue!
will keep my experimentation. I just feel that as I get older plain water just does not work as well
Ari

PointsRacer said...

Like Blue, I go for the Gatorade. Tastes ok, has some calories and salts, and is available at every mini mart and gas station. I've used extran (the stuff in the juice boxes was wonderful but expensive), hammer products, etc....but alway go back to gatorade. I also will eat roast beef sandwiches vs. clif bars any day and any ride. You know better than to take any advice I offer, right?

Ari said...

I don't mind the sandwiches but Roast beef has always given me a stomach ache. Local pro from Slipstream has suggested sandwiches with ham, gelly, cheese etc for the long haul. I'll give that a whirl next time.
a.