Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day off Ride

Moose Mitts and Studded Tires

I am Dead


Little bit of Gravel

I started thinking about this yesterday as I was driving to the house. Today I had to get out and do 2 hours on the bike. I had decided to put on the studded tires and switch my Titex H-bars to risers so I could use the mitts. After Sunday's crap ride were I froze to death I was ready to give mother nature a clean fight. I experimented with the gravel roads and they were truly "unpassable". Smooth, glazed over ice made it impossible to even ride with the studded tires. Walking was impossible. I stayed on the main road and then saw that that shoulder was clean so I did 22 miles on the gravel part of the road.

My heart rate shot through the roof and I was cursing at myself for being so stupid. Why do I have such ideas? Why not call it a day and wait for warmer weather? I think I don't think. Anyway, I rode 11 miles out and then carried the cross back home with a massive headwind that burned my nose and my legs. I fought it out all the way to make it home exactly in 2 hours with 22 miles in. I rode the gunnar Fixed gear with a 2x1 gearing and Innova 700x45c studded tires.

out,

Ari

No comments: