Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Resting, Thinking

One of the great gravel roads around where I live.



As the air freshens and the leaves turn to brown the thoughts of the mega-monster spring event starts to invade my brain. Trans-Iowa Version #7 will happen April 23-24 of 2011. I will be going into to event with 4 years of experience and by know I hope to have ironed out all the kinks and hiccups that I have encountered. Bike setup, tires and all that stuff will start to become more and more important as the months go by. I will start training a lot sooner and will really work on losing some more weight and staying flu and colds free. Last year was my first year ever (47 years) that I had not become sick with any upper respiratory type illness. Even my mom was shocked. Maybe its because I spent so much time outside in the freezing temps.
I drank a ton of fluids, soup, tea, water, washed my hands a lot and made sure to dress properly. It all worked out just like I wanted it. I had two reliable training partners and that made a huge difference. This year that might be a bit different. I know Iwill be able to count on Gumby and I will be doing a lot of solo riding. I have pre-established routes, and will be doing more loop type training rides where I won't be really far from home when the temps drop very low.
New additions to this year will be The incredible Pugsley. I know I will be riding that beast a lot. It is built and the preliminary rides have been very successful. As for a studded tire bike I might be switching to 29er and not opting for the 26er anymore.
Yesterday I took the day completely off the bike and today I am not sure whether I will ride. I might do a night ride later on today. I hope everyone has a great Labor day celebration and that you keep well.

best,

Ari

No comments: