Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday Update


So today wer were busy at the shop again. What else is new?? I sold another Gunnar Crosshairs and Pizza sold a 3k Cannondale frameset that we will build up with the new Campagnolo Super Record 11 speed with SRM cranks. Go figure.

I was glad to have help today as Japanese boy was there along with Pizza, Billabong, Franny and the boss. I did have some frost on the car this morning and I suspect that the evil allergens will start to die and I will once again come alive.

I have been waking up very tired in the morning, like I was run over by a truck style. I think this sickness really got me good this time. I hope to start riding lightly tomorrow again. I did ride a trainer at work for 10 minutes the other day and it felt good.

Tomorrow is the race in Dekalb which is race #2 in the Chicago Cross Cup. I will be there at some point and hope to see lots of you there.

I have been riding the Ira Ryan everyday to pick up the wife at school and to go to the restaurant. I really love that bike and the more I ride it the more I like it. I want to put some pimp fenders on it and change out the seatpost for a thomson and upgrade the brake to Paul.

The bike is Divine in its manners, comfort, looks, everything. At this point I am considering to sell off bikes I don't ride and order up another one.

Billabong and I have been very big fans of Moosemitts for riding in the winter. No glove will keep you as warm and dry as a pair of these. Most riders don't use them because they look dorky.

Last winter I left home on a cloudy day and rode out to the middle of nowhere. I had taken the crossbike with the dropbars and had left home with a good pair of gloves on. I had my wool undershirt , wool Merino sweater and my Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket. I was feeling good.

On my return, with 25 miles to go it started to snow. Within a couple of miles my gloves started to soak through, then they started to get wet, then the wetness started to get cold. After a few more miles my hands started to freeze and after that my hands went numb and I had really bad pain. My jacket had no warming pockets and I had nothing and nowhere to hide my hands.

I kept riding and saw nothing but snow and old corn stalks. Then by some miracle I saw a large piece of plastic that had snagged on a sign. I jumped off my bike and went for it. I tore the plastic in half and went on to wrap my hands with the dirty plastic.

After a couple of miles I felt the warmth being trapped in the contraption. I arrived home and my wife unwrapped my hands as she shook her hands. I had gotten a bit of frostbite on all my digits and my fingertips were chalk white.

The moral of the story is to protect yourself in the coming months. Three days ago I discovered a site that makes moosemitts for road bikes. I could not for the life of me remember the site but today I found it:::: http://barmitts.com/


Off to the races tomorrow!!!!


Ari

3 comments:

Neve_r_est said...

Well it's good that you found them as I've never seen the drop bar version. Thing is, now that I've seen them they kind of defeat the drop part of a drop bar, don't they? I guess if you just have to ride the bike with drop bars....

Or you could use a set of RBH trig mitts.

DG

Ari said...

I ride the flat bar ones all winter. Sometimes you get a warm day and you want to bust out the cross bike and I thought these would come in handy.
ari

bluecolnago said...

those look pretty sweet.

how'd the cx races go?