Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Resting

Trapper Tom, Hawthorne Woods, Il Cross

Tom @ Dekalb,Il Cross race

My Cup of Tea, misty Gravel

Monster Gunnar Crosshairs on Woodlawn Rd.

After last week's Red ASS I decided to take a couple of days off. Last week with all the forced bike commuting I had no time to do anything. This week I will make a commute to work and also get out on Thursday to ride with pal Tobie.

The weather is starting to change and again this morning we had some hefty frost. In a way I like that since it is killing all the allergens that drive me crazy. I am breathing better and getting some fitness back after my disastrous September. This week I plan to do inventory at home and get rid of busted cycling clothes and make a list of items I need to get to stay alive in winter. The addition of the Rockhopper will be good since that will be my shit weather bike. Nokians, Fenders and lots of lube will keep me going. I cannot afford to lose training days since the Trans Iowa appears out of nowhere. I still remember the hills and the never ending roads. I need to go there with all the fitness I can muster.

I am also thinking about how to configure the bike and which bike to take this time around. I went with the small rack and basket last year but sometimes I thought it made the bike handle like a truck. Carrying anthing in my backpack is useless since I cannot reach. I also have trouble reaching into my jersey pockets because of all the years of mountain biking and cross racing. Too many falls have limited my reach.

I think less crap and more water and items that are useful will be the key. I am also working on nutrition and am trying to figure out how many calories I need to consume per hours. In the 140 miles of riding I did last year I burned out 8900 calories.

On another topic I will be selling my Giant TCR T-mobile frame soon. It is an XL size and it is mint, never built. I thought of trying out carbon fiber but I never got the courage to go ahead with the idea. Riding out by my house the roads are really bumpy and rough. I have tried to take my road bikes out but I always end up riding them on dirt roads. We have such a lack of street signs so it is easy to get lost.

I hope everyone is having a good fall and a good Cross season.

out,

Ari

No comments: