Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Commuting, Theft and More

Great Western Trail 20 miles of gravel

Origin 8 propulsion Bars.


Surly in Singlespeed Format.


The Pantani-mobile is at Chris' Automotive getting new Femurs, (tie Rods) and will be out of commision for a while. You see Chris is old Skool and will fix the car at his pace. Chris is kinda like Todd from Beavis and Butthead. He smokes, decided to close Saturday and Sunday and is always working on his beloved 1968 Pontiac Firebird. But if you are lucky to be accepted at his shop you will get fine work and a fair price. I always pay more for the repair and also show up with beer. Try doing that at your local Midas or Firestone place.

So Monday i decided to ride the re-converted Surly Cross check into work. I rode a Solid 80 miles on the singlespeed turning a semi-light gear of 42x18. I decided to go single and low for a while to eliminate the over 40 years old and fat syndrome of turning bigger and bigger gears.

On Tuesday I also turned in another 80 miles and my legs started to feel better. I rode into work and on the way back I hitched a ride in Geneva from my awesome father-in-law Giusseppe.

We bitched and complained about the economy and the prices of food and we laughed all the way home. I made sure to line the seat in his car with newspaper since my cha-mo-is was covered in Bag Balm.

The Surly rides better singlespeed and does not need all the derailers and so. I also purchased a set of Origin 8 Propulsion bars from North Central Cyclery and have really enjoyed the flared drop setup.

On a negative note. I sold a tube to some loser who supposedly only had 5 dollars. He then asked for a bag and then my boss was there hanging out until he got an important phone call. My boss went into the office and I was building a shit ass 300 dollar bike that was due. I heard the dinger at the door and had a funny feeling. Sure enough I quickly realized the loser dude had saddled up on a 3,500 dollar Cannondale and fled. I quickly told my boss and he went hunting around trying to catch the thief. He came back empty handed. I hope the son of a dog burns in hell and that his crack pipe blows up in his face. I was really pissed. I am sending notes out and will be checking ebay and craigslist.

Tomorrow is another commute since the Pantani-mobile is still at Chris's.

out,

Ari

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

the surly looks great, ari!

sucks about the thief. i hope you get the bike back. damn.