Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

July 3rd, 08


Today the first thing I read on Yahoo is that Petroleum went up to 146 since our reserves are so low and our thirst for the black Martini is unsatiable. We are selling a lot of commuter stuff in the shop and it is just funny to see people coming in asking for it. They are the same people that thought it was so quaint to see the Europeans ride their bikes with fenders and panniers. They rode their bikes because their oil prices have always been high. We here in 'merica have been living a dream in LaLa Land. The huge cars, the long distances, the 5k miles road trips, Suburbia. With the continuing hike in prices we are going to have to start to change. I am spotting smaller cars, scooters, people on bikes, and so forth. This time around I don't think gas will go down to a buck any more, Ever.
On Monday morning I decided to add a bike commute to work. This lessens my gas cost by 12 dollars bring my gas consumption to 30 dollars a week. I loaded up the Ryan and got to work in a fashionable 3 hours. The wind was at my favour, I took the longer route and I arrived, tired, happy and ready to go.
My ride home was hard. I started off in nice weather and once the sun dropped, I got to the country, the temps plummeted. On went the arm warmers and the vest and I was still freezing. I stopped at the dirty gas station and loaded up on Jerky, newtons and some chips. The pizza area was closed down. My last 20 miles were on gravel and the bike handled awesome. I listened to some music and glided through the black tunnel. I hope you all have a great 4th of July.
Get people you know to consider doing small errands on bike. We have to do something about this mess we are in.
Ari

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

your ride home sounds great! suffering strengthens the soul, brother!

have a great 4th!