Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A new rig and a gift from old friends.


Eric and Me at the shop
Monster Cross Check

Front Area, Nitto, Dura Ace, Salsa, Profile

Sram SC300 cranks, first experience with outboard bearings. (we'll see)

Over the 4th of July weekend I had the great gift of seeing my best pal Jeff and his family. They were visiting relatives in Wisconsin and made the trip down to Sycamore to see us. It was a trip down memory lane recalling awesome days at the shop and the endless, endless hours of riding that we did together. It has been over 14 years since he moved away and we have missed each other ever since.
Yesterday while working on some crap bike I had Eric walk into the shop and surprise me. He is another one that jumped ship and moved down to Texas to find fortunes and eat big steaks. I feel so good about seeing these guys and knowing that they are doing well in what they do.
This week the shop was out of control. We have sold the shit out of tires, tubes and repairs. People are really starting to feel the effects of high gas prices and they are starting to take action. Our sales of bikes are down but we are making it up by selling accessories and commuter items. I love helping people to ride to work and carry stuff on their bikes. I hope they keep it up.
I did sell an ill fitting Schwinn and purchased a Surly Crosscheck. The Jack of all Trades bike. I built it up with all "I got that" parts that I had laying around. The sucker can accomodate 700x44 wide tires and the bike is a beast. I tripled sprayed it with Frame saver because it will become my winter bike. My Ira Ryan and my Crosshairs will not see salt.
My riding has suffered a bit with all the work at the shop. I am taking all the hours I can since when the winter comes we will start losing them. Tomorrow is my day off and I will be out the door early. We are expecting 90;s with lots of humidity.
Hope you all are doing well,
Build up a commuter bike and save some gas,
The guy next door with the Escalade ESV will thank you,

Ari

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

the cross check is pretty cool! i love surlys!