Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day off riding

incredible shoulder on Rte 23. 13 miles worth

Casey's for a can of Coke


Preserve rd. before getting rejected by loose dogs.

Grass trail in Shabbona Lake Park

Shabbona State Park

So I finally made it to Shabbona State Park. I discovered a wonderful state park with a really big lake, tons of fishing and lots of grass trails that will be awesome on the 29er. It is exactly 30 miles south of my house and the drive is quick since traffic is minimal. I am so happy to have found this little gem. The ride was hard since it was soo hot. I saw the sweat dripping down my legs and arms and knew that the humidity was super high. On the return I had to stop and take my shoes off to cool off my feet. I did poured water in my shoes to stop my toes from cramping up. It does not help that I spend so many hours on my feet and that I have been needing new sandals and work shoes for the restaurant. Must work on that. The Ira Ryan is an excellent ride and I could not be any happier with it. The thing just glides and on straights I can go a gear higher and stay there. The positioning is perfect and the amount of Bottom Bracket drop makes for a steady machine. I love discovering new places to ride and when the fall comes I will be spending time in Shabonna. They also have a restaurant there where they serve fish. Check it out if you have time. Total mileage for the day: 60 + 5 mile commute to work.

out,

Ari

2 comments:

bluecolnago said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bluecolnago said...

we have one section of county road that has about 3 miles of shoulder like that. when i was living up in st. cloud, almost all of the county roads had shoulders like that. it was sweet!

dea has a link to an msnbc article on his blog that is worth looking at. http://teamweakandfeeble.blogspot.com.

good stuff!