Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Friday, June 20, 2008

General Update


8:45 p.m. En route to Kirkland

Night time in the fields

Yes it is that black. Citylights free

Marathon Gas Station for the 60 cents coffee.

So the shop has been going at full swing and we are just trying to cope. Our winter was terrible, our spring was miserable and so we are trying to salvage whatever we can. I no longer think we will be able to sell any custom bikes since that is a winter thing to do. I have been commuting and working and coming home and night riding. I have decided that it is no longer feasible to have dinner at home at 8:30 pm. I have dinner at work before I leave and then I come home and go for a ride. That seems to calm my nerves and clears my head from all the millions of questions and the constant ringing of the phone.

I have been doing the Kirkland loop which entails 30 miles of field riding in the dark. I use a blinker on the camelbak , a Planet bike Superflash on the bike, (best light in the world), reflective tape from Jandd front and rear and a Nite Rider Minewt in the front. Not many cars out and for the most part I feel pretty safe.

On Sunday we went out and did another Century with Giggles. Storms, wind, rain.. The typical Midwest weather for this year. Monday Night ride, Tuesday Night riding, Wednesday Night riding and on Thursday I Finally busted out the road bike, also known as the Cheater bike, and rode the Hampshire loop. 40 miles of cool road riding. I did mix in about 2 miles of Gravel just to get my vitamins. I did not take any food with me and bonked like bad style. A quick trip to a small grocery store and I was on my way home.

This Sunday we are planning an 80 mile Gravel Grinder so if anyone out there is interested let us know. Billabong and I overhauled the Gunnar Cross hairs. Billabong did my Chris King hubs and I cleaned and lube the rest of the bike. I like to do this about every 1500-2000 miles of gravel use. That stuff has a way of creeping in tight spots.

To all my pals out in Iowa we are thinking of you. If anyone needs some help out there drop us a line. Hope everyone recovers best possible and that you can get on with your lives.

Keep riding,

Ari

No comments: