Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Gravel Grinder Sunday





Worked late last night at the restaurant and we were slammed. I served 14 tables and lots of stress in the kitchen. I slept late since I was up writing,reading and thinking a ton about friends whom I have not seen in a while. The idea of Flandria also keeps me awake. It is like a big puzzle that I am trying to figure out. Today I started my ride late and went out west on rte 64. I turned right on Malta rd. then left on Mowers rd which is all gravel. I rode forever on it and then turned arounda and headed back home. My back wheel came completely loose and I had to pull over and retension the whole thing. I used a Ritchey multitool and in matter of 5 minutes the wheel was nice and tight and away we went. The wheels I rode today are some hand me downs made by Alex wheels. I hate prebuilt and the only way I ride them is if they are free. The Ritchey tires in 700x35c were awesome on the gravel and rode well on pavement.
All in all I got in about 60 miles and I was not even tired when I got home. Jamie came home from work and wanted to get out and ride. Sure, Let's go I said. So I latch on the Burley, load my 45 pound 4 year old and went and did another 15 miles. The second ride hurt more than the first.
Todays weather was spectacular and out in the fields the sky was dark blue. The breeze was refreshing and the sun was warm and it felt really good. I really felt like I was riding on air. Too bad nobody made it out to do this ride. It was top 10.
Maybe next week.
Ari

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

my cousin lives down the road from you in serena. your pics look familiar from all the time i spent over there. looks like a great ride. that was a pretty nice trick balancing your bike like that for the picture! :)