Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Epic Day



I woke up super-early since I had to take Giugi to my inlaws. Hooked up the Heron at 6 am and rode over. Then I timetrialled to work since I didn't want to be late again. Boss was no fond of me getting there when the store was already full of people. Worked all day in a store that does not seem to be slowing down. Keep fuckin' riding is what I have to say. We were shorthanded all day and at some point I was starting to look foward to my day off. I was offered a ride but refused cause I was having major mental issues that I had to iron out. I figured a good 52 mile ride mostly in the dark would take care of that business. I rode really heavy because i was tired and my timbuk2 bag was packed to the gills with clothes, cameras, fruit and all kinds of junk. Must clean bag out. By the time I made it to Warrenville it was getting dark so fuck it I took the Prairie Path. It was dry and fast and I enjoy cruising at 18mph on the limestone. Trans Iowa v4 here I come.
Made it to the Fox River and got infested with bugs. I had a paper towel over my mouth and nostril to keep the fuckers out. There were billions of bugs out from the heavy rains. Ran through Batavia, Geneva and then took the GWT which was like riding in a black hole. Fuck was it dark. My dinky Cateye light performed well and I was able to keep a 15-16mph average over the trail. I listened to Mono,formica blues and to some other crap on my mp3 player. Once I got to the sycamore speedway i veered off the trail and took old state road. It was So fuckin' dark and lonely. I really enjoyed how isolated i felt and all the stress from the shop just melted away. Fuck customers. I stopped at the liguor store and got two heineken and one fat tire bombers. I am still drinking them and thinking about that damn ride in the dark. My Heron rocks, I had to take my socks off because the nylon in my Sock Guy socks was burning my feet. My legs felt really strong towards the end. Time to get a brighter light and a new Mp3 player. I dumped my Creative with my jersey and shorts in a 5 gallon bucket with water and soap. After 5 hours of soaking the Creative still works. I can't change the albums, control volume or shut it off without resetting it. Man,that thing is tough.
Keep riding,
ari
one photo of the awesome, dry trail in the morning, second picture me riding inthe dark
total mileage for the day. 110 miles. No entry fees required.

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

oh yeah! no entry fees required. that's a good outlook, ari! keep riding, brother. be safe!