Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Friday, June 1, 2007

Back in my Element


Finally got done with all the work. Today was my first official commute to work. It is something that I just had to get out of my system. Rode the Quickbeam fixed gear on the way in. Churned the 42x16 all the way and clocked 50 miles to the shop. I did part of the ride on the Great Western Trail which is gravel and the rest was on the road. Final timing was 3 hours and 10 minutes.
The way home was a completely different story. I decided to ride the Salsa Cross bike for the first time. It all started well but my legs did not like the bike change at all. I made it to Fermi and out of fermi when the sky turned black, the wind went crazy and we went from 80+ degrees to the 60's in a matter of a few minutes. A man saw me wrestling the wind and offered his dry garage. He was checking the storm out. It all blew over in 20 minutes and I was on my way. I met Joe the tow truck guy de-stressing on his trek navigator along the fox river. He had caught a slow leak and was wisely riding it to his car.
I finally made it back to the Great Western when I realized that my brand new Durace crank on the right was coming lose. A quick mental check told me I did not have an 8mm allen to tighten them. There was no way to fix the problem so for the next 20 miles I kicked them new cranks and rode them. The GW was literally a river and I rode all 16 miles of it in the water. It got really late and very dark and I navigated by the reflexion on the water. The trail seemed like an eternal hole that never ended. The salsa, the cranks and my self were getting beat to a pulp. I was lucky to have a hammer nutrition gel and some water to get me home. I made it into town and arrive home dead. I left the shop before 6 and arrived at home before 10 . I had clocked 100 miles just to go to work.
Tomorrow I am driving.
Ari

2 comments:

strangelife said...

Bravo, tough guy! Hope that's the worst of it for a long while.

bluecolnago said...

hey ari! that's hardcore, brother! good on ya!