Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Dario Pegoretti


How much more can you say about a guy like this. I learned about his condition today and it really ruined my whole day. I woke up with a lousy headache and a bad feeling. Things were not right.I went to work and found out about what was really up with him. The stomach ailment would have been welcome news. I hope that he is receiving good treatment and that he is able to beat his enemy. I have admired his work for many years and after a long time I was able to get his frames in the shop. It was truly a personal challenge and I was really proud to have opened the dealership. To most of our mundane customers they are just decorations. After all they were looking to buy the latest carbon bike with a triple and 6 kilogram wheels. They were looking for the Bento boxes and the clip on aerobars. The Pegorettis and Pinarellos were invisible. Only people that really ride bikes can see them. Only people that don't average 25 miles an hour can starting to calculate how they are going to "lock" in the frame. There is the fear of never getting one.
I learned my lesson when I was in hot pursuit of a Matt Chester. It was a matter of 1,500 dollars for a custom Ti,fixed gear cross wonder machine. I have given him the plastic numbers over the phone. Now, that will never happen and to some extent I do regret it. Small frame builders are a special breed. They work long hours and when the final product is done they really dont make a killing on a frame. They start to burn out when we constantly annoy them with the long waiting times that are associated with dealing with them. The super-anal guy that knows everything, the complainer, etc etc. And all of a sudden I realize how they can just say fuck it all and they turn the torches off and dissapear. I spoke to a gentleman named Ira Ryan. I have ordered a frame from him months ago. When he builds it he will ship. I let the man do his work.
Pegorettis now have a waiting list of over 8 months and not even that is a guarantee. I hope we can all have some power to make him better and that he can get back on track to do the thing he most loves. Building rideable pieces of art.
Thank you,
ari

1 comment:

bluecolnago said...

nice commentary, ari.

peace out, yo!