Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The hardest spring training in a long, long time.

This year will mark our 6th outing to the great spring classic known as Trans Iowa. The weather has played havoc will all the riders trying to get ready for this huge endeavor. January was decent and I remember being out in my trusty Mondonico piling on miles before work. Then we had some very wet rides and freezing temps. 
I would have not been out on those rides if if wasn't for my Fungus guys being there. Then February came with a massive sinus infection that left me unable to do anything but ride 6 miles to work and lay on the couch in misery. 
So, then came March. We all had hopes and planned to get "the big miles" that we had planned. Well, March decided to stay way below average. The wind blew incredibly hard from the NE, then the NW, then the N. We were stuck in a cold jetstream and there was no March to talk about. I got out on my bike. I stayed close. I got in a 90 mile ride. I rode the singlespeed. 
So now we are in April and the cold grip will not let go. I have yet to experience a warm night. A night I am looking to get out on a long ride and not freeze. My feet no longer stay warm. I feel like my sinus infection wants to come back. 
Trans Iowa is now, this month, in a few days and there is not preparation enough. Forget the Tapering, the taking days off from training. This is going to be a massive brain battle. Ride hard, bonk, recover, stay focused, ride more, bleed, find riding partners, eat, drink, suffer, suffer, suffer. I don't think many riders will arrive fully prepared. 
This is what Trans Iowa is all about. This is what makes it so hard. This is what breaks you. 
I have been riding the Prototype quite a bit and that will most likely be my bike. I have the fit dialed. Soon I will put a new chain and cassette. I will put on the wide tires for comfort. 

My saddle was off on the level side by less than 1 degree. This made my pelvis rotate foward and strain my knees. Once I figured this out I was golden. I also like the Salsa Cowbelll bars. I have them sitting up high, more than I would normally, but this allows me to sit in the drops all day long. I will be riding either a 40 or 42 mm tire. Last year the chunky gravel just jolted my body into hamburger meat. I learned my lesson. So, I believe that soon the weather will change and we will all feel better. In the meantime bundle up and ride!!!


Best, 

Ari 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes i agree, i have some good miles in my legs and numerous 6 hour night rides in the cold, but i do not feel as strong as i should.

I hope to ride out and converse without technology soon.

Chad

Steve Fuller said...

I have a lot of seat time (not necessarily miles) in this winter and I'm still doubting my level of preparation. Still dialing in some things here and there on the bike, mostly related to food and hydration.

I'm still not completely convinced that running the dyno hub is a good idea, so I may switch back to battery powered lights and deal with the weight of battery packs.

Ari said...

@Chad
It will be cool to see everyone. I have been meaning to get out west but working at a busy bike shop does not allow me so. We will meet in Iowa to chat.
@Steve
I think dynos are too heavy. I think the way to go is flashlights. I have a Nebo that punches out 200 lumens and takes 3 AAA. also using a princeton tec Remix also with AAA. That should be enough. I think the drag in a dyno for 300+ miles will be felt.