Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday riding

My bike of choice today. My trusty bianchi with the Marathon Racers 700x35
This is a bike that has never let me down. Sachs New Success rear hub laced to CXP33 rim.
Front is Coda Sealed bearing to Mavic Open Pro. Frogleg brakes, Stronglight headset, Itm stem with Mavic Bars. Campagnolo Record OR cranks with Salsa Rings on Shimano Sealed BB. Salsa Post with Selle Italia Super Turbo. Sram chain and Dura Ace 7 speed barend shifters. Campy Record brake levers. Spd pedals and Cateye Wireless computer, my favorite of all time. This Bianchi is one of the last made in the Reparto Corse in Italy it is lugged and fabricated using Deda Zero Uno tubing. The ride is magical, Pantani would agree.






I made it home at around 11 pm after having left the house around 930 in the morning. I was just plain tired and was messing around with a bad stomach ache. I had eaten too much healthy food as in Lentils with carrots, organic tortillas, Potatoes, pasta with sundried tomatoes. My stomach was a mess and I awoke around 3 am Sunday morning feeling very uncomfortable. I was wondering whether Hellmut was going to show up. I thought there would be no way where I would round myself up and mount a bicycle. I was hiding in the downstairs bathroom when I heard the clacking of the cleats in the garage. Game was on. We sipped some Moka espresso and watched a bit of the cross video on the computer. It was raining, the snow was melting, and the temps were around 38 degrees and dropping. We headed out and within yards of the house I lost control of my Bianchi and I did a full dunk of my left foot in the freezing water.
I continued on and we headed east on 64 just wanting to ride our bikes. We made it into St. Charles and I spotted a Laudromat. We pulled in and threw our wet clothes in a dryer and stayed a while to get some blood flowing. We later made it to Caribou for coffee and bags for my feet which were turning purple. The ride home was very difficult as the winded shifted from S.E. to S.W. We struggled the whole way back home. I went straight and Hellmut turned right on 23 and we just said a quick "see ya".
I was very relieved to get home and unwrap and unfreeze my feet. I was later happy to have Hellmut show up and in the end we pounded over 50 miles on a very crappy January day.
Viva Slender Fungus!

No comments: