Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Salsa Fargo, first impressions

Salsa cyles Fargo size 22"

I was lucky enough to go to Frostbike this year and meet all the guys from Salsa Cycles and ask some pretty specific questions about a lot of their bikes. I was most interested in the Fargo since it was supposed to be a new genre of bikes for this coming season. The Fargo is a 29" wheeled touring bike. It has all the mounts imaginable to carry racks front and rear, pump peg and 6 waterbottles. The tubing is nicely welded Salsa Cromoly which is butted at the necessary places. The bike has a compact frame look which offers tons of stanover height.

I bought the size 22" since that coincides with my 22" Gunnar Ruffian 29er. I left the steerer long and am still playing around with the stem height and so forth. This bike, according to the person who conceived and designed it, is built around the concept of riding the drops as the main position. I copied my On One Mary position on to the Fargo and as I rode away on it it felt perfect. After 10 miles I moved the seat back a cm. and I was dialed in.

I bought this bike complete, which is something I have not done in 15 years. The list of components is impressive and I will ride the stuff stock until it wears. I like the Deore Xt cranks, Deore XT front and rear derailleurs, also how Salsa did not cheat and stuck a Deore XT cassette on their rear hub. The bike also comes stock with bb-7's from avid and oh I forgot: Deore XT hubs.

Rubber is WTB Vulpine in 29x2.1 with a smooth center that is delish on road and gravel. STem, bars,seatpost, seat, tape and rims are all Salsa. 9spd barends hang of the end of the bars. I rode the bike for 1.5 hours this morning but will do an extended ride tonight with lights and all. I am excited about this machine and I think it will be a long summer with it and yes we do carry them at North Central Cyclery.

Ari


3 comments:

Velonavia said...

Hi, how tall are you? I run a 22" Salsa Bandito and I`m wonderin a bit bout the geo on the Fargo?

Keith Drury said...

Thanks the info... will be glued here to hear more... I'm thinking about the Great Divide Trail and the Fargo... and listening closely... keep talkin' ;-)

Keith Drury

leader said...

Can provide protection for the entire dwelling on an all risks basis around the policy limits. thomas charms The policy limit is defined by the policy owner when the insurance coverage is paid for. thomas sabo charm You are able to decide to insure the house and items for either replacement cost or actual cash value. cheap thomas sabo charms The house needs to be insured for replacement cost. cheap thomas sabo charmsReplacement cost is most likely the sum it will take to replace or rebuild the house or repair damages with equipment of identical kind and quality,thomas sabo without the need of deducting for depreciation.