Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Almost had the job done.


The arches in Dixon, IL. Not today

This past week was a rough one. I came home tired and stressed one night and had a good
category 4 asthma attack. I battled it til 4 am because I refused to go to the hospital and fork over a grand and a half. After I have such attacks my lungs take a while to recuperate. I have also been battling a bad allergy season as well so the whole breathing thing has not been going well.
Today I had decided to make it out to the arches in Dixon, IL. I was planning on a long day in the saddle with mileage around 140 miles. I left with the wind on my back and was feeling ok. I knew I would have a hard time coming home with a headwind but I kept going anyway. I stole one mile after another. Believe or not I was on a road bike. I tuned up my Rivendell Heron and rode that today.
I started to cough at about mile 70 and that is when I started to head home. I missed my Dixon destination by a mere 8 miles but that was o.k. I took Daysville road out of Franklin Grove, IL and headed north towards Oregon. There were a bunch of rollers on Daysville that made me sweat and weeze. I made it to Oregon and headed east towards the Ari Household. 35 miles of headwind and my legs were not getting enough oxygen. I knew what was happening so I just kept riding, drinking, eating. When the going go too tough I plugged in the Mp3 player and went into numb mode. I was happy to see the sign for Kings IL, because that is where I stop at the Shakey Rooster and buy my 50 cent Pepsi.
The last miles were agonizing and at this point I knew this ride was wrong. I made it home, had 32oz of Recoverite and went to bed.
I finished the day with 110 miles in around 6 hours and 30 minutes.
The Continental Top Contacts in 700x28 create a lot of drag but are tough tires.
Breathing is good,
Ari

2 comments:

bluecolnago said...

yes, breathing is good. take care of yourself!

i think ronnie reagan was from dixon. used to go through there on the way to my uncle's house.

Ari said...

That would be correct. Ronnie is from Dixon.
ari