Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

MKS Gripking pedal AKA Lambda

The great Gunnar Ruffian SS 29er


Back to the old routine of not being able to sleep. I think I was just too overtired with all the work that is going on in the shop. Of course we lost our summer help since they go back to high school and college. The amount of customers and repairs has not diminished and we are severely shorthanded.

Last night I was freakin' out and after much debate I saddled up on the 29er and left the house around 11;30 pm. I got back around 2:30 am and was beat. I hit the sack and woke up at 8 am with my bad bachache gone. I did make a midnight run to walgreens and picked up some Aleve gel caps. Those suckers do work.

I think I killed my back in Decorah. Too much driving, sleeping in soft Super 8 beds, and also mashing up those monster hills on a cross bike that could have used a few more teeth in the back.

It was a blast to get back on the 29er and for convenience I mounted up some great MKS Gripking pedals. These platform pedals are great. Last night I rode in some Merrell hiking shoes and tonight in my Granola boy Chaco sandals. I love the hop on and go ability of these pedals.

I also have a lot of stuff going on and Noel will understand what I am talking about. We need to hook up on Friday and have some brews. Are you up for it??
I hope to get the gang back on the road and have some great rides this fall. Snake is starting to build up a Gunnar Crosshairs and hopefully we will see him out here sometime. The shop hours will soon change and this will make a big difference. It will also be great to be closed on Sundays.
Keep riding and stay in touch,
Ari

7 comments:

Noel said...

I'm in on Friday. Let me know when and where.

Ari said...

At the shop. Happy hour will probably start around 4 p.m. You should see the stress we went through today. Tonight I have to get out and ride. Its all good when the shop is busy though. We hope to see everyone on Friday and regroup.
Ari

gpickle said...

Hey Ari, I love big dangerous platform pedals and them gripkings look purdy fine! Later...

Ari said...

When I do long rides in the hot weather my shimano spds suck a lot. They make my feet get really hot and crampy. I will slowly ride the gripkings to see how far I can go without the micro mtb pedals.
ari

Neve_r_est said...

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Grip Kings as well. I'm thinking that may be part of my winter commuting/snowbike, maybe touring solution.

DG

Ari said...

The gripkings are so long that they support the foot really well. What I have to figure out is how they will affect my riding position that I have had for the past 20 years. I seem to pedal more with my middle part of the pedal, but this relieves the pressure from the front part which is where I get hot foot. I plan on getting some insulated boots and nokian studded tires for this winter. I hate riding indoors.
Ari

bluecolnago said...

i hate riding indoors too! studded tires are the bomb. the more studs, the better. great for gravel!

be good, brother!