Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Decorah # Three

Off Hesper rd, going North, near Minnesota border

Mauri going up towards Whitetail Rd. Yes, he made it.

Iowa is not flat


Toward Bluffton, road demolished by floods. The chunky part is where the road used to be.


Off Madison Road going west

Hesper rd. going north. Arguably the best road I have ridden. Just Fantastic.

Haven't done any posting lately since we ran away to Decorah Iowa for a few days. After my initial trip to the mecca of riding in april I went back in May and now in August. We went with the whole family and it turned out to be a lot of fun. I did have to rent a van since it was 6 of us with luggage and two cross bikes. This time I took the Salsa Scandium to try it out and it actually worked out great.


I did find some new routes and some of the hills were very tough. I ran a 38x48 in the front with a 12x25 in the back. I hit a lot of hills where I used the low gear and wanted something lower. Some of the rides I did turned my legs to cheese and would come back completely exhausted.


We did a lot of walking , hit Dunning spring a few times, enjoyed brews at T-Bocks, had lots of coffee at The Magpie and did some healthy eating at the Coop.


I just can't believe some of the roads in the area. I had no driver issues and it was weird having people wave and be friendly on the roads. My 11 year old son had a blast riding my wife's Interloc and was totally hooked. He told me he thought his legs were hairy and was thinking of shaving.


I visited Richard at Oneota Cycles and met Ben at Decorah Cycles. Both shops were friendly and offered routes to check out. We also looked at some homes in the area and are planning to move there in the future. A more relaxed atmosphere. Lots of hills, Singletrack, fishing, camping, good schools and a small town feel. Coming back was hard and we are already planning a short trip for the fall. We will also go there in the winter to check it out too.


Back to normal, hectic schedule. For the time being, more training and planning for Trans Iowa.


Ari

4 comments:

bluecolnago said...

the decorah area is beautiful, eh?

that old nasty rumor that iowa is flat is pretty bogus. when i hear it i just smile....

glad you had fun.

Ari said...

It is really hard for us to leave that place everytime we have to head back home.

Ari

Cornbread said...

Ahh...those pics bring back memories. Looks like you had a great time!

gpickle said...

Every time I go to Decorah I plan to move there. Hope you actually do!