Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Trans Iowa 2008 part Two

photo courtesy of K. Steudel


Above picture is of the start at 4:00 a.m on Saturday. On the right side of photo are Ari, Pizza, and Giggles. You will notice that Pizza and I are the only dorks with Wald baskets in the front of our bikes.
Now that the ride is over there is a void. I had been stressing about this race since December of last year. We did have the worst and most dangerous winter for outdoor cycling. We lost tons of days to ice and below average temps. In the end I was happy to see that the three of us made it out there, that nobody caught the flu before hand and that we all made it back in one piece. We also did not have any flats or mechanicals. I did learn a lot from our adventure and at this point I am ready for any weather. I have learned to conquer the darkness also. Dogs will chase and get tired. Humans are the only threat out there, specially when they are boozed up and high.
So.... in the meantime I will have to search and find something to do to fill the void. I know most of those guys in the photo will be at the startup next year.
I know for sure we will be there too.
out,
Ari

3 comments:

Oolong4Go said...

I know having a basket on your bike marks you as a dork, but they are so useful that I can't believe more people don't mount them.

Eric
(not caring who knows I am a dork)

EXPO Racing said...

Yup, I wasn't planning on the wind being so bad that you couldn't sit up and reach behind you for food...I had to stuff Jerky up my sleeves and wrap a ziplock of shot bloks around my chest strap for easy "one-handed" reaches. A basket truly would have made things easier :)

Ari, time cut off or not, making it to CP1 was a feat that day! Then to ride back to Decorah puts you over the top.

Hope to shake your hand next year,
Constantine

Ari said...

I think I saw Aris being picked up in a little town. Brave effort on his part. I have not come back to normal from my late night riding. Last night I left the house at midnight and got home around 330 am.
Must de-tox.
best,
Ari