Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunday Ride

Brick road coming out of Rock river Valley. One of the steepest hills I know of.

Farming of hay and Atoms


Riding into a headwind for 40 miles


All the Gravel you could ever wish for

I left this morning with the intention of making it to the Rock river in Oregon,IL. I had a nice tailwind head out all the way. I took the long route and ended up making the 33 mile distance to over 40 miles. I took a quick break at the gas station and headed back. I had a monumental task of battling the wind for over 3 hours. I drank all my gatorade, water, and luckily I had packed a monster power bar with protein in it and covered in dark chocolate. That is what got me home. I really was so sick of the headwind. The sun was warm but the air riding over the fields was cold. I had wind tights, wool socks (with cold feet), wool undershirt, jersey and a Hincapie windproof jacket. Balaclava and hat. I did many an intervals when I got chased by dogs. It kinda sucked riding solo since I could not draft off anyone. My total mileage for the day was 85 miles. I burned 5300 calories.

out,

Ari

3 comments:

bluecolnago said...

that sounds like it was a tough ride. i'll save those sufferfests into the wind for warmer days!

PointsRacer said...

Brick Rd. looks like something straight outta Liege. Take me there sometime.

-out.

Ari said...

There is some really steep hills around the Rock River valley. I have been discovering some every time I go there. Brick rd is 38x26 on the cross bike at about 1.5 mph.
ari