Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Friday, February 26, 2010

The reason for my absence







Last thursday I finalized building a bike I have been thinking about for a long time. I had taken advice from many places but mainly fellow ultraman Charlie Farrow and Surly's own Dave Gray. I waited for the new Pugsley frame and once the 22" size showed up on the screen I snagged it. I had to venture into Ebayland to find the adventure fork to replace the stock Pugs fork which comes with offset and takes a 135mm rear hub. Next came trying to get the rims. I settled for the xc front rim drilled symmetrical and the rear assymetrical. I used a Dt swiss built Edco Racer hub Disc in front and a standard shimano Xt. disc rear.


I opted for the Surly Mr. Whirly crank since I studied them in depth and got to learn them well.


175mm arms, 58/94 spider, 22 granny inner, 32 middle and salsa ring dinger on the outside. 100mm spindle, surly bearings , steel chainring bolts.


I then used an economical 11-32 8 spd sram cassette, 8 spd chain, no front derailleur, Suntour xc pro thumbshifter. Brake levers are shimano xt, control tech stem, titec titanium bars, ergon grips, bb 7 avid disc brakes. The new Larry tires which are amazing. I am now using a cane creek thudbuster on a turbomatic saddle. Now riding old 747spd pedals. headset is cane creek s3 . The ride is amazing and I instantly fell in love with the bike. On friday we were leaving for frostbike and here is what happened in the first week of ownership.


friday 2hrs.


saturday frostbike minneapolis minnesota


Sunday 2 hrs


Monday 2 hrs


tuesday 2hrs


wednesay 5.5 hrs


thursday 2 hrs


friday 2hrs


I have the positioned superdialed, the gearing is perfect, and the bike is a winner. I learned at Frostbike that the large marge rims will accept Maxxis Hookworm tires in 26x2.5". Once the snow goes away the bike will handle the mud and once we enter dry season I will switch the tires.


This bike will enable me to stay outdoors and ride all winter. This bike brings freedom!!


best,


ari


Next post long overdue is frostbike with lots of photos.

2 comments:

Jay said...

that thing is a beast, keep up the hard training for the T.I. and keep nursing your toothaches...I will be purchasing a bottle of makers mark very soon.

Michael Feller said...

That is one serious bike! Super cool.