Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Historical Route Re-Visited

This is what is left of the Quarry on Blackjack Rd.

Going up Blackjack rd at 4 mph.


Downtown Hanover



Making it to the Mississippi River




Rte 84 N. along Mississippi


The gates at Galena,






Place where you dry your feet







In Lanark, IL.








Rte 64 in the a.m.













A very long time ago a bunch of us got together and made a historical ride from Hinsdale, IL. to Galena, IL. I don't remember the exact year but it was in the early 90's. Only two of us made it all the way since the total mileage for the day was 175 miles. It was one of the hardest rides I have ever done. The flatness of the terrain was tolerable until we hit the Mississippi and then is when the hills started. Our last leg of the ride was Blackjack rd. with almost 17 miles of leg crunching hills. A 42x25 was my lowest gear on the old Gitane Reynolds 501. My friend was riding a Peugeot and had very few miles on his new bike.
I had discouraged him from coming on this ride since he had not ridden for many years. He insisted that he would make it and finally we had agreed that he should join in. The other two riders dropped off in Polo, IL and spent the night there. My friend suffered all the way and rolled into Galena glorious and full of pain. I was very proud of him. We went out for Pizza and then went back to the motel to sleep like cadavers. The next day we started back. We were short of making all the way back but got caught in storms and then finally by dark. With no lights and with 40 miles to go we called in a ride. We have never forgotten our historical ride to Galena. It is one of those things that keeps our friendship. Many times the distance and our schedules keeps us from communicating but I always remember that day.

I had been brewing this idea to revist the historical ride and yesterday was the day to do it. Rich had volunteered to pick me up so it was up to me to make it out there. I started at 630 am and loaded up the Ira Ryan and just pointed west and gave it all . I road through the following towns.

Clare

Esmond

Kings

Oregon

Mt Morris

Lanark
Mt. Carrol

Savanna

Hannover

Galena

I had a cross wind all the way to the River and then the wind shifted and had a headwind from the north. Blackjack rd. broke my legs as I ran out of gear with a 34x26 compact. I saw ghosts of my friends riding in front of me and I kept hearing my friend talking to me as I pressed on the pedals. I made the last hill and saw the flood gates in Galena. I felt lonely and strange being there. I felt lonely the whole way there and the only company was my little mp3 player.

I would like to thank my friend for engraving such a great memory in my head. I hope to ride with you soon again.

Thank you Rich for driving all the way out there to pick me up. Thanks to the wife for pushing me to get this ride done.

Total for the day: 125 miles.

1/2 bottle Hammer nutrition

2 bottles of Perpetuem

1 oven roasted chicken breast

12oz Coke

1 bag of Ruffles

1 stick beef jerky

1 banana

50oz of water

20 0z Americano with 3 shots (recovery drink)








out,







Ari







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ari: You are gonna be so ready for the Trans-Iowa this coming April...I can feel it, I can see you finishing it, I see it quite clearly, especially after several Bells Kalamazoo Stouts—Your arms are raised in victory as you cross the 320 mile finish line!!!...I know about these things...Your strength increases as your rivals sleep...Stay the course Old Samurai…get the miles in…stay focused…this is a good thing...get the miles in...no matter the weather...bad weather is your friend :)

charlie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a heck of a ride. We don't often see people tackle the hills of Jo Daviess County, let alone the trek you took. It is a great challenge and we commend you for it. From your friendly hosts for visitor information, the Galena/Jo Daviess County Convention & Visitors Bureau

Anonymous said...

Ari - You never cease to impress me. You are an inspiration to those who enter the shop. You live it, breath it, preach it and most importantly you RIDE it. This trip is just another example of your passion to ride.

Also, a huge THANKS for the outstanding job you did on the Yellow Gunnar.

Tim

Ari said...

You guys are all too kind. It is people like you that inspire me to do all this. Ever since I was a kid I have been mental about bikes. I just love the feeling of being out there.
Charlie: I plan on finishing T.I.
Tim: You are very welcome. I put all my effort in building you a great machine. I forgot to get a photo of it sometime.
thanks again all,

Ari

Anonymous said...

Ari - Tobie said he took some pictures, check with him. I haven't taken any yet but plan on doing so. I'll send some shots your way.

Tim

bluecolnago said...

good job, ari! i'm familiar with the area and that sounds like an awesome ride.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://nixokoceg.uvoweb.net/acoqyg.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich