Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Friday, June 5, 2009

This Fuji Professional must keep rolling.

Fuji Professional, Circa 1970's




It was last summer that a handsome, tall, lanky man walked into the shop that I used to work. It was winter and the day was consumed drinking coffee and re-organizing the same items over and over. Must keep busy even if there is no business.
He told me of all the adventures that he had as a young lad. The many rides, the agony of being lost and without food, the single water bottle. He had spent a lot of time on his bike and it had carved fond memories in his head. All this had been had on board a Fuji Professional. A wonderful lugged japanese bike complete with lightweight lugs and Suntour Suberbe Pro dropouts. He had ridden on the road, on trails, off road and had done the occasional race with the sewup tires that originally came with the bike.
I was intrigued by all the stories that he shared with me. He later told me that arthritis had ravaged his body and that he was unable to pedal the bicycle. He had made unsuccesful attempts at riding the steed with no results. The arthritis had attacked his knees, ankles, elbows, and hands. He then tried riding a comfort bike just to have some glory in riding a bicycle. That did not work. He sometimes rides the Airdyne at the YMCA and he closes his eyes and remembers.
Ron had sized me up and he was correct that we were both 6'4" and that I had some youth left in me.
He wanted me to have the Fuji so I could continue riding it. So that it would not turn into rust powder in his garage, that it would continue making memories. The thought of looking at it, lifeless, hanging by the hooks made him sad. I accepted the honor and brought the bike home, along with the sewup tires. He told me to fix it up and ride it. That the idea of the Fuji roaming around would make him happy.
Last night I finally finished it up. New stem, bars, barcons, rear der, crank, wheels. The fit is perfect and I think that it will serve great on gravel and road since it is built with lots of clearance. When I ride it it will always remind me of Ron. I hope his pain is o.k., I hope he can ride the Air Dyne a little longer.
Ari

6 comments:

gpickle said...

Ari, I greatly request your correspondence,

geepickle (at) gmail (dot) com

You are my only hope

Ari said...

Geepickle,
Sent you an email already.

ari

bluecolnago said...

you alright, buddy? no posts in awhile....

Ari said...

Blue,
A bad, bad case of the saddle sores. It feels like I have a burger down there.
Ari

bluecolnago said...

not fun! heal up soon....

Anonymous said...

The bike is from the 80's and a great find. I have a similar bike, originally spec'ed with Campy though.

http://classicfuji.com/Professional_Model_Years_Thumbs.htm