Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day off ride January 10, 2008

40 degrees in Jan, confused Geese

Flooded Kishwaukee River


Wet, soupy, soft gravel


Break in Kirkland, fenders a must


High flying confederate flag.


Gravel grinder hill with headwind.

So once again what was intended as a soft pedal ride after yesterdays 50 mile commute to work turned out to be a death march. I left the house and could not resist hitting the gravel roads. I got cocky with the strong tailwind and was winding up the 42x16 pretty good. I reach Kirkland a bit tired and had a drink. The quickbeam was the perfect bike to ride with the fenders. I do have to work on mudflaps to keep my shoes and shins drier. The ride home was a different manner. I had the worst headwind and the gravel was a true torture. I really felt the pain in my back since I was not able to make any difference by standing on the pedals. I took no food with me which was a mistake and the water I drank just gave me more stomach acid. I was glad to get home and swallow a pot of pasta. The quickbeam needs a lower gear and perhaps some cyclocross tires. Ran a michelin pro 700x25 in front and a conti contact in 700x28 in back.

Vote in O8,

Ari

No comments: