Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday the 19th of August, 2007




Hi to all,
Today was the big race in Downner Grove. The race was won by a Canadian for the Kelly Team. I will have photos in the next posting as soon as I download them. Rained most of the day and I felt like I was never going to be dry again. As usual the DG race was a golden opportunity to see friends that I don't see during the whole year. This race also marks a pivotal time of the year. As far as I am concerned the summer is over. It is time for cross, saying goodbye to my awesome crew at the shop and it is a time when we slow down and search for more coffee and Tom Waits. This summer was spectacular and I feel like Hartley's has never had such a great crew like we had this year. We sold a shitload of bikes and we did hundreds of repairs. I have anger in me for all the work we did. We built truckloads of kids bikes and entry comfort and mtbs. We got great comments for customers for our kind, express service. We dealt with the crazies with laughter and parody. So now is the time to change plans. Now is time to start looking at 08 and figuring out what the fuck is next. Where do we go? What changes do we make?
Is the formula right? I personally think the shop can always be improved. Our crew needs more motivation and our infrastructure has to improve. We need more tools, better computers and better quality control. We need more meaningful meetings.
Enough.
Flandria Velosport is always on my mind. Hey, isn't that a song? Today at the races we handed out flyers and that felt good. I have been thinking a lot about a lot of different things and I feel like the shop is definetely the direction I want to go. I read Matt Chester's last entry. www.mattchester.com and he left the bike world only to come back to it. He called himself a "lifer". So from the time I was 5 years old and I saw that coverage of the tour in 1968 I should have just know that I was also going to be a lifer. I live and breath bikes and shop life. I have so much running through my head that when I open the doors it will be great. Our area will have a shop where people can take refuge, where they can meet, where they can find good service and a cup of good espresso. That is what I am thinking about. That is what I am dreaming of.
Good night and ride all you can. Take that fancy bike out in the rain, it needs it.
Ari
Above are pictures of DG. Flandrian Flag, racing up the hill, Canadian rider takes home the bacon.

2 comments:

STC Captain said...

when do you guys meet at spring rock for cross training.. any room for a fat kid that hates to run, but knows cross is great training??
richie

Ari said...

Training is at spring rock on wednesd ays at 530 pm.
ari