Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

The Bucket list

The Bucket List
I was at work today and thinking about riding bikes. It has been a long time since I have taken a whole month off of cycling. The reasons are numerous to list for now. There were a lot of aches and pains, fit issues, and after so many years of riding non-stop I figured it would be a good experiment. 
Cycling can/is good for one's health. On the other hand the person that rides every single day of their lives will attest to and accumultion of tiredness, stress, pain and discomfort. 
I was one of them. Off the bike I felt like a wreck and once back on the saddle all my aches and pains would sort out and I would gently mold back into riding position. I have been working on some ideas and figuring out others. 
I thought a lot about gravel rides and races. They are the rage now! Wow! I also thought about riders that have their bucket list. They target a ride, do it, complete it, mark it off, and then, never again. 
They never help the sport, help the race, help promote, nothing. It's that check mark that keeps them focused. 
As we enter a new era of Gravel road riding and racing we will see some changes. I am already missing the old days of gravel riding in it's infancy. We were friends, we hung out, we kept in touch. 
With the big cycling organizations hungry for cash they will take care of that homie feeling and turn it corporate. Then they will lose people, like in road racing, and nature will take its course. The roads will always be there, the dust will settle and the old, creaky guy aboard his Single Speed Crosscheck will enjoy a new sunrise. 
Get'em while you can. 
Ari