Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Winter Riding has arrived.

Layering up for the return home


Heading east with a tailwind


Darkness fell quick.



Gumby on Pugsley.



Powerline trail on Saturday.




My usual thought is that December will still be rideable at a comfortable rate. As soon as we did the month switch the weather turned on us. On November 28th I was taking a nap in a park and yesterday I was fighting to make it home. Saturday morning awoke us to a thick blanket of fresh snow. I rolled to meet at the 730am time at the shop. I had low hopes of finding anyone there except for my super-reliable riding partner Gumby. I rode the Crosscheck to the shop on slicks and that was interesting. We got out on time and found the riding super-slow and dangerous. At 800 am we headed back to the shop and picked up a couple Surly Pugsleys. WE hit the Poweline trail and rode around the airport. Good exercise and a good sweat was achieved.
Yesterday I mounted the Pugsley as soon as the sun and all the little heat we had dissapeared. I made it almost to route 47 when I decided to turn. I knew i was pushing my luck with a tailwind and as soon as i returned I knew it was going to burn. I had to stop at the Honda store to add additional layers I had in my backpack. Got in a tough 22 miles in almost 3 hours. My cashmere sweater was covered in ice under my jacket. Welcome winter and all your harshness. I am ready for you!

best,

Ari

No comments: