Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Slender Fungus double Whammer

Hellmut suffering sleep deprivation at Merrit Prairie





The long, straight strech of Keslinger rd. Right before sunrise




Whiskey stop at 5:30 a.m.


My beloved Carhartt neckwarmer, great for asthma




The Gunnar Crosshairs and the Salsa La Cruz

Ten minutes before departure time.







I rode 27 out of the 28 days of February. It is on the 20th of February that I was attending the Frostbike bicycle show up in Minneapolis. The DBD committee has somehow found out about it and has laid the hammer on me. I am so ashamed and I hope my humble career as an amateur cylist will not come to an abrupt end. This post is in no way an excuse nor do I have the guts to explain myself. I know I have done wrong. What was I thinking? Boy do I regret those drinks with Jay and Hellmut. I fear to find out what the sentence will be.
This past Saturday I worked all day at the Cycle-shoppe and then commuted home by-cycle to continue to work for more hours at the restaurant. I worked from 10 am until 10:30 pm. I ran home and ready-ed myself as the Slender Fungus was meeting at midnight for an allnighter on the cyclo-cross cycles. It was cold and damp and we started at 12:00 a.m. We rode on the slush, snow, mud and water of the GWT all the way to St. Charles, then Geneva, then Batavia. We stopped for coffee around 3am then continued our ride. We went by Johnson's mound then rode on Hughes, and Keslinger. I was really tired since Friday night I had attended a late dinner at the inlaws. I kept myself awake by listening to Techno and doing short shots of Jack Daniel's.
Hellmut was chased by demons and took micro-naps on his bike while he rode on his trusty Gunnar. The more tired I became the more hyper I felt. We walked up the steep hill on Johnson's, then we rode offroad on Merrit Prairie. We finally made it to Dekalb and stopped for a much needed cup of strong coffee at the bucks. We were outside all through the night arriving at 9:00 a.m. at the Ari house. My daugther was watching cartoons, while the wife was still resting in bed.
Monday morning the Slender Fungus met at the Ari house and headed north Towards Belvedere. We rolled into town and stopped for a quick lunch of Tortas at the mexican place. Rolled back with a stiff headwind, and then rode into Knute forest preserve for some b-road training. We rode the loose gravel and severe mud all the way back home.
Sunday 12:00 a.m. til 9:00 a.m.
Monday 10:00 a.m. til 3:30 p.m
Tuesday 2 hrs commute.
I hope to make up for what happened last month. In the meantime we will just keep riding all we can.
best,
Ari

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES YES YES!!!! You have redeemed yourself!!! Ari...Your efforts will be rewarded in Iowa...
Bravo,
C

Ari said...

I'm so relieved that I have not been banned! I will continue on the right path from now on.
ari

Jay said...

you dont regret those whiskey drinks in MN!!!