Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

More Trans Iowa Training

Helmut hitting the new Pavement on Silver Glen

Helmut and I started out our ride at 9:30 p.m. and hit the GWT trail all the way to virgil. We then split off the trail and took the I.C. Trail rd. to rte 47. WE then headed north to Silver Glen and took that all the way down to the Fox river. It is a new route that I came up with and it really is a good one. We had absolutely no problems with traffic. Once we hit the river we went north a bit and then switched banks to head south to St. Charles. In st.Charles we hit the GWT trail back home.
We had a 6 mph N.E. wind for a tailwind and the riding was good. Once we hit the fields again we started to get really cold to the point that it was getting uncomfortable. We kept riding as to not get any colder. My stomach started to play games on me since I had not eaten anything salty but only sweet.
April 15th and what I was wearing:
Merino Base layer
Merino long sleeve jersey
Windproof Jacket
Patagonia balaclava
Helmet cover
bib shorts
amfib bib tights
Liner socks
wool socks
lake boots
Manzella gloves
I was soaked from the effort and the sweat was getting cold. Less layers would have worked but the cold temps were not condusive to riding with less clothes. We rode with a Custom light from Dennis, an Eos helmet mount light, a Princeton Tec front light, Planet bike superflash and a new super-powerful light from Trek.
Ride total was 5 hours and we got home around 2:00 am. I am thankful to Helmut for riding with me and helping me recover my fitness after all the respiratory problems that I have had.
best,
Ari

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....