Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Fargo Express





Gettting this bike done. It was 1:30 a.m. before I realized it was late and that I was getting tired. I ordered the wrong clamp diameter on the stem and forgot to buy brake cables and housing. I forgot that only shimano includes them in their brake levers. The Chris King BB cups went in like Butter and I transformed the Mountain Biking XT cranks to trekking by changing to 48x36x26. Little detail was that Shimano decided to go to Torx screws on the chainring bolts. Now we have to also carry a T30 wrench on us too. WTF!
Also if you build a Salsa Fargo with the Trekking chain you will need all 116 links from a Shimano chain. Sram Chains only come with 114 links and that will not suffice if you accidentaly go into the 48x34. I am excited to get this project finished so I can get organized for Trans Iowa. Today I will order the other stem and move along.
out,
ARi

2 comments:

strangelife said...

Is the chain slack-a-doodle in small/small with the full 116 links?

Torx is a bit of a new thing, but it's likely to be the common thing in the near future. Better stock up on the t's.

Giggles will giggle on this.

s.

Ari said...

No, with the 116 links from the shame-on-you chain there is no slack in the chain in small small which is 26(front) and 34 in back.
I am already amassing mass quantities of torx bits.
ari