Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association

Headquarters for the Slender Fungus Cycling Association
Brewers of Hardy Rides.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Chiorda Folding Bike


Found this one in the deep,deep corner of a moldy, wet cellar. Cleaned it for hours and scoured it with steel wool. The brand is Chiorda and it is a old italian bike. They made a high end road bike ridden by the famous Felice Gimondi. The company was later bought out by Bianchi who also bought out the Famous Legnano. The folding bike is soo cool. Quick release handlebars and seatpost. The frame folds in half and fits in the trunk of my 1.6L Nissan walnut with 4 wheels car. IF said Nissan breaks down, out comes the Chiorda and I ride home or for help. When I lived in Argentina there were many of these folding bikes and as kids we all rode them. Despite all the cool bikes I have I still have a love affair with clunkers and old bikes. This spring we are planning an old bike ride with the family. Keep your eyes peeled for old italian bikes since some of these companies are obsolete and very historical. Treks and Giant will never be cool vintage.........Sorry.
Ice go away!!
Ari

7 comments:

Unknown said...

No cool vintage Treks? Are you sure you wouldn't be at least a little sentimental about a lugged steel Trek 520? Maybe if Mavic still made those nice bottom brackets...

-- John

Ari said...

John,
I have only hard feeling for the modern productions bikes that have no heart in them. Old vintage anything is worth admiring and collecting. Who would want to have a trek 820 in 40 years. The plastic on it would probably just turn to dust.
ari

strangelife said...

Chiorda vs. Trek is a non-contest. Schwinn is perhaps the only one that could emote some kind of palpatation out of me. That said, I'll take the 520 over a Madone any day.

spoked said...

I have this bike! I love it. Just picked it up a few weeks ago in Brooklyn.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23206058@N08/2595380370/

I also have and love this one. a 1950's Hercules

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23206058@N08/2349066462/

Unknown said...

Need a red Chiorda to go along with your yellow one? I've got one & need to get rid of it...downsizing in Ky. If you want it or know anyone who does, please let me know. Whatdahel@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey D,
I've been looking for a red folding Chiorda. Please contact me @yodog456@hotmail.com
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have a nice red chiorda for sale rides great will have pic later 1 issue with bike doesnt have right pin clamp for frame i made one that works fine tho if interested email me r.smith.55@hotmail.com may list on amazon in few days bike is shiny and red had light chrome rust and chips everywhere touched them up and brillowed the rest looks good new tires too